How does contactless payment work?
Purchases with a smartphone are paid in the same way as with a bank card. To make a payment, you need to go to the application menu and attach the gadget to the cash register reader.
If the purchase price does not exceed 1,000 rubles, the funds will be debited by default. In situations where the purchase price exceeds the established limit, you will have to enter a pin code. There is no commission for such transactions.
The principle of operation of a contactless card is simple, like everything ingenious. Ordinary Visa is supplemented with a special chip, which has a built-in radio antenna (FRID). Payment information is processed by a terminal equipped to receive radio signals and transmitted to the bank.
Thus, there is practically no risk of losing money in contactless payments: Internet technologies have been repeatedly tested and have been working for years, so errors when debiting funds are excluded. The plastic itself interacts less frequently with the terminal and is less subjected to mechanical stress, so the risk of premature demagnetization of the card is significantly reduced.
As a security measure for storing funds on a contactless card, the developers have set a limit for quick debits: if the lump sum payment exceeds 1,000 rubles, the owner will have to enter a pin code or sign a check (slip) offered by the seller.
Sberbank was one of the first to issue cards with a contactless payment system. This is Paypass from Mastercard or Paywind from Visa. The advantages of such cards are as follows:
- quick payment for purchases, requiring only unlocking the phone;
- high information security: the user does not need to present the card;
- the possibility of paying not only for goods, but also for services;
- short interaction distance and spend limit to protect against scammers.
The main drawback is the lack of an nfc chip in the terminal installed at the checkout. The limit on purchases also plays in the negative direction. To confirm purchases over 1,000 rubles, you will have to enter a PIN code, but this is a small price to pay for security.
Most modern plastic cards issued by Sberbank are equipped with a contactless payment function. There is no additional fee for this, and to get it, you just need to contact the company’s office. You can also reissue an old card by adding contactless payment functionality to it. To do this, you will have to pay for the re-issuance of the card. Depending on the category, the cost of the service is 150-300 rubles.
Despite the stability, sometimes the cards stop working. This is due to the following reasons:
- the card ran out of funds to pay for purchases;
- the payment was blocked due to exceeding the limit;
- you need to bring the card closer to the terminal;
- no internet connection;
- payment terminal damaged;
- software problems.
Depending on the cause, one should use the appropriate method to solve the problem.
Depending on the cause, the following should be done:
- Check your account balance. There are not enough funds on the card to pay for the purchase. It is enough to replenish the account to fix the problem.
- If the limit is exceeded, you need to enter a pin code. To do this, visit an ATM. Sometimes it is enough to report this problem to the seller, so that he enters the PIN provided by the owner manually.
- No network connection. When using the wallet on iOS devices, no internet connection is required as the module works on its own. The lines of code required for operation are generated inside the module. On Android devices, the system works differently. The required code is generated on a cloud service and works for 6 applications, so after every sixth use of the terminal, you must turn on the mobile network.
- Damaged payment terminal. This reason is corrected only by the employee. And it’s easy to spot. To do this, just make a payment in another terminal.
- Software problems may occur on both the smartphone and the terminal. In the latter case, the check is performed in the same way as in case of mechanical damage to the cash register. If the reason lies in the smartphone, try restarting the smartphone. Some background applications may interfere with NFC. The same goes for the power saving mode. The module requires an electrical charge. If it is limited, contactless payment will not go through.
Eliminating the presented problems is not difficult. The main thing is to correctly determine the cause.
When the card stops working on nfc technology, the user loses the ability to pay for purchases quickly. This greatly complicates the daily shopping trip. You can attach not only a bank card, but also club and municipal ones, for example, a troika, to the application for linking cards. If they do not work, you need to determine the cause and fix the problem. Otherwise, you will have to carry a set of cards with you.
To use it, it is enough to attach the cards to the program on your mobile device. To do this, you need to specify the data on the front side of the plastic carrier or take a picture of it.
What is contactless payment by phone through Sberbank
Payment with a Sberbank card via NFC is carried out the same way for all devices:
- Owner selects application and card for payment;
- Scans a fingerprint or enters a PIN code;
- Puts the smartphone on the screen of the terminal;
- After a short beep or vibration, the payment is made.
Currently, most Android and iOS smartphones released after 2013 are equipped with NFC modules. Please note that it is the majority, and not all in a row. It is quite easy to check if this option is supported.
Just do the following:
- Enter setup menu;
- In the general list, find the MORE item;
- Go to the opened section.
If there is an NFC item in the list of wireless connections and mobile networks, then the smartphone can be used for contactless payment.
Speaking of manufacturers, the following brands can offer this option:
- Samsung Galaxy;
- Huawei Honor;
It should be noted right away that among the listed options, not all models support contactless payment.
To implement NFC technology, a device must have three main characteristics:
- Operating system: from Android 4.4 or IOS from 8.0;
- Compliance with Google certification;
- Lack of third-party firmware (non-rooted smartphones).
If the mandatory requirements are not met, when you try to install the application, it will appear that Android Pay is not supported on this device.
Here is a short instruction on how to set up payment by Android phone for Sberbank cards. As mentioned above, this is only possible if the mobile device is equipped with an NFC module.
If this requirement is not met, contactless payment apps will not work even if they can be downloaded.
If there are no contradictions, there are two ways to make contactless payments through Sberbank cards.
This system application of the bank allows you to set up contactless payments.
To pay Sberbank payments with your Android phone, you need to do the following:
- Log in to the system using personal identifiers or a one-time password;
- Select a card from which payments will be made;
- In the menu that opens, select the DETAILED INFORMATION item;
- Among the available payment methods, the CONTACTLESS PAYMENT item is selected;
- The operation is completed by pressing the ADD button,
At present, almost all issued cards support this technology. This applies to Visa, MasterCard and MIR cards.
It should be clarified here that Maestro Visa Electron cards with NFC modules do not work.
Sberbank offers its clients this opportunity. Acquiring connects to points of sale and online stores. Activation takes only one day, valid throughout Russia. Payments are accepted through online cash desks, instant messengers and social networks. The service is available only for legal entities.
To connect the service, you need to fill out an application on the Sberbank website, meet with the manager and sign a service agreement.
Sberbank contactless cards look like ordinary Visa or MasterCard, differing from them only in a special icon located next to the logo. This is an icon depicting diverging waves (similar to the Wi-fi icon).
You can pay for purchases with a contactless card at each terminal, which is marked with the same symbol. With MasterCard PayPass and Visa payWave, you can pay with one touch for goods and services in chain supermarkets and smaller stores, in some types of public transport, in catering establishments.
The functions of contactless cards are no different from a set of familiar debit cards. This is:
- withdrawal and replenishment in cash and non-cash way;
- money transfers and transfers of funds from one owner’s account to another;
- account management using the “mobile bank” and “personal account online” services.
Contactless payment by Sberbank phone is based on NFC technology. It is based on the principle of wireless communication with a short range. To activate it, devices that have a similar function must practically touch. In this way, complete security of the payment transaction is achieved, since the signal is almost impossible to intercept.
To carry out the procedure, you will need a phone with a built-in NFC chip, a connected application and a special reader. And the procedure itself is elementary simple: just bring the smartphone to the terminal, and in a matter of seconds, money is transferred. In this way, it is already possible to pay for goods and services in supermarkets, transport, restaurants, fitness clubs, and every day the number of organizations working on this technology is growing.
Next, you should decide on the application. You can use any of the Google Play, or you can choose the default offered by the manufacturer. It is located in the “Contactless payment” menu. Then all that remains is to download the necessary cards using the latest version of Sberbank Online or Wallet. After the card appears in the list, you can proceed to pay by phone.
Sberbank cards with contactless payment technology
Almost all cards of the bank, including the MIR payment system, are suitable for making payments using a mobile device, except for Maestro and Visa Electron cards.
Accept payments via Apple Pay
Contactless payment technology is implemented by installing NFC modules. This abbreviation stands for Near Field Communication, which means close communication or short range.
In fact, we are talking about a microchip that can be integrated into almost any medium.
In particular, banks were among the first to appreciate the advantages of this technology and began to issue contactless payment cards. On such plastic, a stylized radio wave icon is depicted, on the front side there is an inscription PayPass or PayWave. When paying for a purchase with such a card, the amount up to 1,000 rubles is debited without confirming the transaction with a pin code.
Given the compact dimensions of the NFC module, it can be integrated into any mobile gadget: smartphone, fitness bracelet, smart watch. In any case, this chip is synchronized with a bank card and becomes an independent payment instrument.
To make a payment, just bring the gadget to the reader. Mandatory condition: the distance between the module and the reader should not exceed 10 centimeters.
In general, such a system is very convenient, and despite its apparent simplicity, it is equipped with multi-level protection, which prevents the card details from falling into the hands of intruders.
Which payment system to choose
Three of the world’s largest contactless payment systems have already been launched in Russia: Apple Pay, Android Pay and Sumsung Pay. They are very similar to each other: their technologies, payment methods and security systems are almost the same. At the same time, each of them has its own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages associated with the policy of smartphone manufacturers. If you are in the process of choosing, then you need to consider the features of all services.
Android Pay is a Google payment system built into Android smartphones.
Distinctive advantages include:
- a huge number of banks connected to this payment system;
- the presence of a built-in link to the application of bonus cards;
- receiving additional bonuses when paying for goods or participating in various promotions;
- no scanner is required in the smartphone, identification and security is achieved by entering a PIN code or a graphic password.
There are certain restrictions:
- you can pay at special terminals with contactless technology;
- is not supported on rooted phones.
Today, the Korean company is a significant competitor to other developers. This is due to a number of advantages that may be the main reason for choosing Sumsung Pay:
- 6 contactless models, more than others;
- relatively affordable price for mobile devices;
- the developer allows the chip to be used for different applications;
- there is support for simulating a magnetic stripe, which allows the device to be used in traditional terminals;
- more choice of partner banks.
The only minor disadvantage is that the transaction is carried out with a fingerprint scanner. In fact, the advantages of Sumsung Pay are not in the features of the system itself, but in the great possibilities of the manufacturer’s models. The key advantage is the ability to pay for purchases and services in terminals of any type.
Sberbank Online is the only banking application in the Russian Federation that allows you to directly link your card to Sumsung Pay.
In the Russian Federation, the first bank to start working with the Apple Pay service was Sberbank, and so far it is the only one with which the developer company cooperates. The payment system is used only in flagship iPhone models, starting with version 6 (5.5S and 5C already have significant limitations), as well as in other devices from the manufacturer. Of the minuses, the following can be noted:
- restriction on cooperation with partner banks;
- high price of mobile devices supporting the service (even the cheapest model is much more expensive than the model of a Korean manufacturer);
- only 4 models can be linked to the system;
- binding to a certain type of terminals that can read NFC chips;
- the device manufacturer prohibits the use of chips for “foreign” applications;
- obligatory presence of a fingerprint scanner.
Payment via a smartphone with a built-in NFC chip offered by Sberbank seems unrealistic for average Russians and does not yet inspire confidence. But soon, when contactless technology is available for more budget mobile devices, paying with one touch of a smartphone will be as familiar as sending an SMS message to another person.
Contactless payments are firmly established in our lives. Now more and more manufacturers of mobile devices are equipping their gadgets with NFC modules. Readers are installed not only in stores.
The system operates in cafes and restaurants, public transport and other establishments. Paying with one touch of a smartphone is becoming as familiar as sending SMS.
NFC setting rules
It’s quite easy to do. To perform the operation, you need to go to the smartphone settings menu, and go to the WIRELESS NETWORKS section. Here you need to turn the checkbox to the ON position. This scheme works for all mobile devices without exception.
After that, you need to install an application for contactless payment on your phone or use the system functionality from the developer. If specialized software is chosen, let’s talk about the settings of such applications for various mobile devices.
How to pay for metro rides?
No problem. Moreover, contactless payment is possible on all types of public transport. However, here you need to remember that such a service is supported only in large Russian cities.
The advantages of this method include discounts on fares and the absence of the need to purchase travel tickets.
On the territory of Moscow, this service is called “Mobile ticket”. To connect to this system, you need to purchase a SIM card that supports NFC technology. After installing a SIM card in a smartphone, the subscriber receives a request to activate the service.
To connect to the system, enter the number 1 in the response message. To disconnect: send 0 to the short number 3210. The service is supported by all Big Three operators.
The fare is paid according to the standard scheme of all contactless payments.
To do this, you need to perform only three steps:
- Unlock the screen of a mobile device;
- Bring the phone to the reading reader;
- Wait for funds to be debited.
Please note that on some gadgets, you will need to put your finger on the fingerprint scanner to confirm the operation.
Note that in order to perform such transactions, you need to activate the NFC mode on your smartphone and install an application for contactless payment.